“But rains pour down upon us, storm clouds darken the skies and we get lost in the storm. Have you been there? Wandering in the darkness, crying out only to be greeted with utter silence?"

~ Lesley Hitchens ~



"God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us in the dreariest and most dreaded moments can see a possibility of hope.”

~ Maya Angelou ~

Friday, April 12, 2019

Ainsley's Angels




How do I begin on this organization? They have touched me to my core honestly. A friend of my husband first told us about this. That was not long before last Christmas. That was the first run my son had with them. I met our local ambassador there as well.




We have had four or five others total now.


One of them he decided to run the last bit to the finish. This was a fairly recent 5k.




This clip was caught after the race. He went a little viral. haha




All have been good but none as memorable as the Hogeye half marathon April 6th. That was an early day, let me tell you!! I was nervous honestly. I didn't know how my son would do for three hours in his big chair. He did it though. His team walked most of it yet still finished. First place or last place here, everyone cheered. your name(s) were announced and you got the glory of a finishing time and more. There was inclusion here. There was acceptance. There was love. We need more of that in the real world. There were people cheering on the walkers and runners alike no matter what. Here's just a few pics. And yes, he did a victory dance again. haha









It was this day I decided it's time I'm a part of this beyond spectating. To feel the energy of walking the last quarter mile with my son and his team was amazing. To cheer them on at different mile points was amazing. To be a part of that is something I want more of. It was then I really saw just how inclusive not just Ainsley's Angels were but all of them. Many runners who were at the marathon to run it alone or with a friend cheered on so many of the Angel riders and athletes alike. High fives and so much more.

I found my village. Celebrate Recovery is a village I am in also but I found another one.

I'll say it again. I found another village.

It's all thanks to the friend of my hubs and also to Jarrett Banks. Yeah, I called him out. (You're welcome Jarrett!) He's our ambassador for this area. There isn't a soul within these kids and adults alike that are in Ainsley's Angels that he doesn't involve and cheer on. He's the one who mimed and shared the video of my son dancing. He was the one cheering him on the loudest.

All of that said, I have decided it's time. Being real here. Time for me to go from over 180 pounds back to a healthier weight. Time to get out of my size 16 jeans and back into something smaller. Going to where I was before kids is unrealistic. A size 8 at 120 pounds would be epic but won't happen. Yet healthier than I am now would be.

So.......






I decided early this week that I'm doing this. Even if I walk, I'm doing a half-marathon in a year.



That mug was given to me back in 2012 near the time of my daughter's last surgery. I still have it. It's always a reminder to never let go of hope. Never let that light go out, no matter what the world does to you. However maybe walking is better anyway. haha




I am not to the point of running yet but I will get there. Then I'll be wicked as some think I am here. haha No seriously, When I can get my average down more, than I'll start the work on that. I've always made the joke that if I'm running, you better be to because I'm running from something.

It's not that I despised it, it's just I was never in good enough shape for it. Even with years of marching band, running as part of our warmup I hated. I was always last. Now I don't care if I'll be last. I'm doing this not for anyone but Ainsley's Angels, my children, God and myself.


The pic below here was from today. Hey, it's a quarter marathon total so I can say I did a marathon-ish already right? haha Lovely view of the Arkansas river. Last lap was to map the long way. This was a new spot for me so I had to figure out the longest route. It's saved now. Total was 6.67 miles today with a just under 18 pace between the two rounds. Total steps 14620 and calories burned 724! My legs may REALLY hate me by morning. haha. I have not done this far in 17 years. No joke!





Honestly, no joke. Yet it's day 3 of me doing this. First week. I took yesterday off since as a beginner again, doing too much is bad. Tuesday was day one. I did that at a different location. I did four miles. I did just under four miles Wednesday. Today this. And this was my view today.




The last two times, these were my views. All three times out like this now I have seen at least one red cardinal. Good signs to me.











Now that hill, the last pic my phone has happened to troll me as I have come to it. I have yet to get to the top where the steep is even more than this pic and finish the full three miles up one way BUT I gotta tell you. my phone really is a troll. Pandora was being played on my phone. Highway to Hell by AC/DC came on as I got on that hill the first day. The second day Dream On by Aerosmith did, but Highway to Hell finished as I approached it! Yeah! My phone is a troll. At least it didn't play "Another one bites the dust"! haha That hill can bite dust!



🤣 🤷

My heart may struggle in many ways with life yet to find the moments of light, the days of inclusion no matter who is first or last, the days of cheering, smiles, dances and laughter from all. Runners, riders, walkers and more. That brings me joy. That makes me know that somewhere I know I'm doing something good. Something my children will forever remember and know they were a part of. If my children and many other children out there who face this medical world can do it, then what are some leg cramps for me? NOTHING! Well, with Advil and more at it the next day anyway... lol Seriously, the other day on the trail I started wondering how long till I see progress. Till the weight starts coming off. Till I can actually run something. I heard our county EMS and all the memories of my son's first epileptic seizure at home hit me. I remember the seizure well, the EMS ride and our local hospital being stupid about it. Days later he had two more and was diagnosed with epilepsy and his MRI showed newly found encephalomalacia (TBI type injury) caused  by another medical diagnosis and too high of pressure on his brain for too long......  It wasn't there the prior MRI months before.

That's why I'm doing this. For my son. For myself. To prove I can do it. To show him that if he can face multiple diagnoses and still smile, then I can man-up so to speak and run this. Pain and all because my leg cramps are nothing compared to his medical world.




My shirt for some days I'm out for this yet it's the truth.... Even in recent weeks there have been more things I've been learning medical world wise and I don't exactly like it.... Now that we have seen what Ainsley's Angels does though, I would be willing to bet at least some of them have my back now too.

It's a much different reality than what I have seen in recent years overall honestly....


Today's Bible verse from YouVersion was so fitting.





May I finish at my first half-marathon. May I finish a 5k first. I have a year to do the half-marathon. I want to do it for the Hogeye but also eventually for Russvegas which benefits Arkansas Children's. If I run it now, it would be an epic fail. Walk maybe but a run would look like either of these gifs. haha Not even a half mile in either! I'll just crawl into my son's stroller and have his team push me! haha




via GIPHY


via GIPHY


via GIPHY



With Ainsley's Angels I shall do this. I challenge all of you to look them up and be a part of it. There are many more stories than just ours out there of children who have been loved and included in this.








As their motto says on their website,
"Together, We Shall Labor as One, For the Greater Good of All."







Someday soon when I get brave enough to write my testimony for Celebrate Recovery, I do know Ainsley's Angels will be in it.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on!" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race!
~ President Calvin Coolidge ~


Roll on! Inclusion for all! Together we shall!


~ Special Momma ~

Part 2 here

No comments:

Post a Comment