“But rains pour down upon us, storm clouds darken the skies and we get lost in the storm. Have you been there? Wandering in the darkness, crying out only to be greeted with utter silence?"

~ Lesley Hitchens ~



"God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us in the dreariest and most dreaded moments can see a possibility of hope.”

~ Maya Angelou ~

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Special Olympics



It was my daughter's first year being able to do Special Olympics. She has gotten several medals this year but these two were from Friday and Saturday. She got gold in standing long jump and silver in the 100m dash. This was at State which is a three day event. Opening ceremonies Thursday night was amazing. Over 3000 athletes from all over Arkansas gathered at Harding University for this. It was truly an amazing experience. I had chills when they honored those who had fallen (passed) in the last year. The rock concert put on that evening was a lot of fun. My daughter and a new friend had a blast. I embarrassed my daughter by "dancing" in the balcony while her new friend was egged on by me and danced too. lol I got the "Mom, you are embarrassing!" look. hahahaha Our group was on the far left in the pic below. Black shirts. (I had to blot out faces)




During our time I did also meet someone who has Apert Syndrome. I wished I had talked more to him but he was working for Harding in the dining hall. Sadly I didn't even catch a name.

The rain on the first two days didn't stop these athletes, now the thunder did once but..... these kids were amazing. Yeah, I'm even calling my age group 'kids' because so many were. Yet I admired all of them, no matter where they placed, people cheered for them. They all were and are champions.

Getting to see how proud these athletes are of coming to State was truly amazing.

Getting to see how there was there no "losers" was perfect. I told one of the other moms there that I wish more athletics was like that.
Getting to see these athletes getting cheered on, picked up, guided, wherever, was such a blessing.




"Let me win.  But if I cannot win,
let me be brave in the attempt."
Athlete's Oath



I will definitely say this, as hard as this journey is sometimes, it is moments like these that really fill my heart as well. With Special Olympics there is no "different" because everyone is there for one common purpose. To be heroes and to have fun. That's what it's about. The hero within!

I can't wait to continue with this. I look forward to the day when my son can be involved too.

Blessings!
~ Special Momma ~

No comments:

Post a Comment