“But rains pour down upon us, storm clouds darken the skies and we get lost in the storm. Have you been there? Wandering in the darkness, crying out only to be greeted with utter silence?"

~ Lesley Hitchens ~



"God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us in the dreariest and most dreaded moments can see a possibility of hope.”

~ Maya Angelou ~

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Shield of Faith

Since we finished our Fight Back with Joy study, we have been watching the videos for Pricilla Shirer's Armor of God. Wow!

Faith and trust has always been a struggle for me, which is why I'm going to blog about it today because I know I'm not the only one..... I have not heard one way or another over an update to the last big storm we had so I'm going to hope and pray it's over......

Last night was on the shield of faith. Pricilla was talking about how the Roman Army had their shields done and how sometimes they would soak them in water so when the fiery darts (Javelins) from the enemy hit, they would not harm each solder and also the water would put out the flame. The army while advancing would hold their 2' x 4' shield out in front of them. While guarding against an attack, they would hover behind it, full body so nothing would hit them. "The Roman shield—the scutum—was not the standard "medieval-esque" shield most picture in their minds upon hearing the word. It was instead a very large, slightly curved rectangular shield featuring at its center a large metal knob (called a boss).The scutum was an impressive line of defense. Because of its sheer size (some were three and a half feet tall and almost three feet wide), soldiers were afforded a great deal of protection from enemies. Because of its slight curve, it was able to deflect attacks without transferring the full force of the assault to the man holding the shield. Because of its boss, it was able to deflect even the more vicious blows and function in a limited offensive capacity as a means of knocking an opponent backwards." During combat from flying weapons, they would cluster in groups and form like a turtle shell of shields to protect each other. The Roman military had an inventive and very effective tactic that made use of their large shields. When enemies would begin firing arrows and other projectiles at the army, the soldiers would close ranks into a rectangular array—called the testudo, or "tortoise," formation—and those on the outside would use their shields to create a wall around the perimeter. Then those in the middle would raise their shields over their heads to protect everyone from airborne missiles. The result was a formidable human tank that could be stopped only through a tremendous effort.


You had to watch though because if a flaming javelin hit your shield and you weren't ready, you would be distracted trying to put the fire out to the point you wouldn't see the enemy advancing further into your area and therefore CAUGHT OFF GUARD. Fiery darts are a distraction to prevent the cluster of shields protecting those using the shields to stay safe. This allowed the enemy to advance further in battle and more easily overtake those around them. It's like ripping a section of the metal off the human tank and leaving that one section open to ANY vulnerable attack.




In the first pic they are all huddled together and in the second, they are using the shields for protection but also attacking with some of the men.

So how is a shield associated with faith? A shield guards, it deflects, it's the first line of defense, and it can incapacitate an enemy.




The main antagonist of faith is fear!! Fiery arrows of what ifs, how to's, when is, etc. Guilty I am.... WAY too often.... Even now with surgery day fast approaching, I am thinking much of this..... I have moments where I allow myself, realizing it or not to get caught up in all of the questions and fears and worries..... How is that showing FAITH though? I am weak indeed.......


BUT

Faith place is stepping into a place or situation where God has to step through to have it happen.
Faith is acting like something is so even when it is not so in order that it might be so simply because God said so.


Jesus is our partner, not our slave who does all of the work. We have to work too. We have to TAKE UP the armor, not expect it to be put on for us. Give your faith a job. Active faith is a shield! Take up the shield, put on the helmet, take the sword. These three require action.

Why do we have to work and prove our faith? Faith reveals a reliance on God. Acting in conjunction with God's Word shows our faith and belief that He is faithful and true! Step out on the water when you are told. It says less about us and more about our faith in God. We will never see the benefits of our faith unless we marry faith with action. That alone proves our faith.



Because He is faithful, we can have active faith! Promises are in our reach but we have to reach for them, act on them. Sometimes that chasm can seem like it's a million miles away and our arm length is only inches but that's where we WORK at this. We continue to ACT in faith.


James 2:20, Eph 6:16, Luke 5:1-11,
Eph 3:20

I encourage you to think of a time where God HAD to step in and make something happen. Something that you knew no human alone could have done. Think of those moments when you face the next storm that seems impossible yet is not.

All Things Possible is a favorite song that I should listen to more often as my own reminder...... Your story is NOT over guys. When we were going through the house buying process, that was my go to song. My son was just a few months old, Christmas was coming and so much more.... My eyes saw so many impossibilities in how owning a home on our budget would work. Yet GOD alone proved it. HE made the process work out.

"All Things Possible"


I will call on Your name
For there’s always a way
When You lead me
And when life knocks me down
I am not counted out
For You’re with me
And You’re with me

[Chorus:]
Even when it feels like the light is fading
And I’ve lost my way
Still I’m holding on to the One who’s making
All things possible

Even when it feels like my heart is breaking
Hold on, there is strength
Knowing I belong to the One who’s making
All things possible

I know mountains can move
I’ve seen what You can do
In my weakness
So my heart will believe
If I wait I will see
My God doing, what only He can do

[Bridge:]
My God is strong and mighty
My God is faithful
My hope is in the Lord
For He is able


Cling to your shield. Take up your armor and wear it always. No matter how much we get knocked down, we will ultimately have the victory because God will.


God's Armor

Know the Truth about...

Affirm key Scriptures

Belt of TRUTH
God: the Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6) Deut. 4:39; Psalm 23:1; 18:1-3
Breastplate of RIGHTEOUSNESS
The holy and perfect righteousness of Jesus in those who are "born again" and filled with His Spirit
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled." (Matt. 5:6) Psalm 100:3; Rom. 3:23-24, 6:23; Gal. 2:20-21; Phil. 3:8-10.
Sandals of PEACE
Inner peace and readiness
"For He Himself is our peace..." (Eph. 2:14-15)
Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:14; John 14:27, 16:33, 20:21.
Shield of FAITH
Living by faith
"I am crucified with Christ:...and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God...." (Gal. 2:20) Rom. 4:18-21; Heb. 11:1; 1 Pet. 1:6-7
Helmet of SALVATION
Salvation through Christ today and forever
"Nor is there salvation in any other..."(Acts 4:12) Each day: Ps. 16, 23; Heb. 1:3-6
For eternity: 2 Cor. 4:16-18; 1 Thess. 4:17; 1 John 3:1-3
The victorious Sword of the spirit: GOD'S WORD
God's Word countering spiritual deception and accusations
"...the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory...." (John 1:14)  Heb. 4:12; Matt. 4:2-11; 1 Pet. 3:15; Ps. 119:110-112


May I remember this always too, no matter how dark or stormy it is and gets..... May we all remember.....



Blessings!
~ Special Momma ~

No comments:

Post a Comment