“But rains pour down upon us, storm clouds darken the skies and we get lost in the storm. Have you been there? Wandering in the darkness, crying out only to be greeted with utter silence?"

~ Lesley Hitchens ~



"God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us in the dreariest and most dreaded moments can see a possibility of hope.”

~ Maya Angelou ~

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Embracing the journey

I wrote this over two years ago. Goodness, if I only knew where I would have been now.... lol Hard words to remember sometimes..... Even today I needed this reminder. Though I know daily that I have two precious and shining rare gems, at times I get bogged down by the nitty gritty of the life chosen yet blessed with. 

"If you have a child with any special needs, treat them normal. If they have something obvious like hearing aids, treat that as a super power when they ask. Though your heart like mine may have thoughts and worries about the future and even the present, don't treat them different. We all are human either way. Sad there are people who don't see it like that but keep on living as if all do. Strive for it. Remove those from your life who don't love and accept you and your child(ren). Negativity won't help the journey. Embrace your journey as a gift. Because it truly is. Hard day's won't make it easy to see it like that but it will make the good days all the more special. Fight with all your might for your child but rest sometimes so you don't get bogged down and discouraged. Grieve over losses and setbacks but don't stay there. Don't allow yourself or others to get hung up on what your child can or can't do. Hard but you must be positive. Be realistic but be optimistic. Few will understand your journey and sometimes you will envy them for it. Don't get caught in that either. Embrace your journey. Enjoy the small things. Few in life enjoy the little things. Don't be like that. The little things will make the big things easier to bear. As the movie Catwoman shares, When Halle as Patience talks to the cat lady, Ophelia tells her, "It is a blessing and a curse. You will often be alone and misunderstood but you will experience a freedom other women will never know.... You spent a lifetime caged, by accepting who you are, all of who you are, you can be free, and freedom is power."  At the end of the movie, Patience says, "Freedom is power. To live a life untamed and unafraid is the gift that I've been given, and so my journey begins." That movie got poor reviews (I like it though.) but until today, those two lines didn't really resonate with me. Not like this. Yet even on our own journeys' it's the truth. Our lives are a blessing and a curse. We will not get to have a completely normal life like many. However we also have freedom. Crazy I know, I didn't see it like that till today. We may look and feel older then others our age but yet our children are setting their own standards, unlike the world. What the world needs to do is not try to make our children fit in their mold, the world needs to fit in ours if they will ever experience any freedom. Yes our journeys' are a blessing and a curse. Some days I hate it. Yet I wouldn't trade it for the world. Our children teach us what life should really be about. I get frustrated sometimes with the being alone and misunderstood part but yet we have had so many blessings too. Our journeys' truly are a blessing and a curse but I'll take it. Some of the best people who have walked with me I have never met face to face but they walk with me either way. For many it is this way. We sometimes wish things were different, it would be us suffering instead of our children. Yet our children are the ones who truly teach us how to live.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/littlechristina/journal/view/id/51c15f7b6ca004654205175d"

Blessings!
~ Special Momma ~

No comments:

Post a Comment