“But rains pour down upon us, storm clouds darken the skies and we get lost in the storm. Have you been there? Wandering in the darkness, crying out only to be greeted with utter silence?"

~ Lesley Hitchens ~



"God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us in the dreariest and most dreaded moments can see a possibility of hope.”

~ Maya Angelou ~

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Al Fine






al fee'-nay. 'To the end' is what that means. Al Fine.

I found sheet music for the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy" today. I had not heard that song in a while, let alone played it. The last time I played it with a group was in early high school with a band director who at the time reminded me so much of my grandfather and who inspired me to want to major in music. I decided to hear the hymn on YouTube. Brought back too many memories, sad memories.


Mr. Larry Neuhauser was so much like my grandpa. It was like having him everyday with me. I really would have to say I was not good with my flute then but by my freshman year, many had been playing twice as long as me. I was only playing for two years at that point. Yet he didn't give up on me. His sense of humor was priceless. It was under his direction and our two assistant directors that we won state my freshman year in marching band. It was under him that when my grandpa died, he told me I didn't have to play that day if I didn't think I could. He knew grandpa is who started me in music. The middle of my sophomore year when I had to switch schools, it was hard. Mr. T as we called him, was my director after that. I graduated under him. My senior year the morning of our first competition of the season, Mr. T had to come up to me and give me the news that Mr. Neuhauser who had retired not six months before, had passed that morning. The front page of our local newspaper did a story on him. First word, Fine. (Fee'-Nay)

Our show that year was called, The 4th Angel based off of the 4th angel in Revelation. One of my most memorable seasons. Out of four, I would rate that second behind winning state with our show my freshman year.

What also got me feeling poignant today besides hearing that hymn was playing Shenandoah during our community band concert. In high school under Mr. T, there was a flute trio part I played the second part in. Tonight, I did that. It's been over 15 years and it made me miss it all over again. Once a musician, always one.

Al Fine, to the end. To the end of our journey we all have. But what is our journey? Just plowing through life? I think there is more than that. Much more than just the day to day routine.

"I was driving west on the road to get to the freeway.  It was dark.  There weren't many cars on the road there and few if any street lights.  And the line, "The night is dark, and I am far from home...." came on.  And it hit me right there.  It was dark.  I was moving farther away with every mile. And I don't know what's happening, not really.... But there still, on the road, there was light, the light from my headlights showing what was immediately in front of me.  And the Savior is my light.  And He leads me on." Quoted from Aaron's Blog

Our Light, our source of light. That's who we are living for, right? Are we really? I know I'm not always good about it..... Neuhauser brought my passion for music brighter than it was. Mr. T kept that alive, even when my dreams of teaching music shattered. Today reminded me all over again of that.

My point in this besides following the Light, is to live passionate every single day. You never know who it will inspire, ignite, revive or anything else. Even in the dark of guessing that Aaron's family is dealing with, they reminded me too our journey is not over till God says, Fine. End.

Blessings!
~ Special Momma ~

Shenandoah starts at about 5:15. It was from our concert tonight. HERE 

No comments:

Post a Comment